2017 is inching ever closer and with the new calendar year comes an entire slate of fresh horror films for fans to devour. The new year promises to run the gamut from aliens to vampires with some devilish delights thrown in for good measure. Here’s the top 10 horror films that I’m waiting for when the new year kicks off.
10. Leatherface- I’ve gone back and forth with my opinion on this film. Originally I didn’t see the point in revving up the saw again but Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury are just too damn good at creating truly horrific imagery for this to fail. I have faith that they’ll bring the terror back to Texas when the film hits screens in 2017.
9. Aztech- This anthology brings together some of the best talent south of the border including two of the best up and coming genre directors, Lex Ortega and Gigi Saul Guerrero. The anthology centers around fragments of a meteor crash in Mexico and the United States. Thirteen stories will encompass the event in different spaces and times in the places of the collisions. This anthology is going to be a very unique look at humanity and how we deal with a disaster.
8. XX- We will finally get to feast our eyes on the much talked about all female helmed film, XX come February 17th. Featuring segments directed by Jovanka Vuckovic, Roxanne Benjamin, St. Vincent, Karyn Kusama, and Sofia Carrillo this anthology is going to showcase the horrors that the all star ladies behind the lens are capable of providing.
7. Blood Dynasty- No one in horror today is making fever dream films the way Chris Alexander does. Each of his films are left of center and they leave the viewer with food for thought afterwards. Blood Dynasty is the follow-up to Blood for Irina and Queen of Blood, the vampire Irina rises again like a ghost from her watery grave to bring blood lust and madness to a lonely woman living in a seaside motel. Be prepared to expand your horizons when this film hits.
6. She Was So Pretty: Be Good For Goodness Sake- The 2016 independent horror hit, She Was So Pretty (REVIEW HERE) is getting a sequel and this time psychotic murderer, Alfie is making it a Christmas time affair. Brooklyn Ewing and Jerry Larew are going to bring a whole new level of creepiness to the holidays with this film and I can’t wait to sit back with some eggnog and view the carnage that this film will bring.
5. The Belko Experiment- The pairing of a James Gunn penned script with Greg McLean directing is a dream for horror fans. Throw in a cast including Michael Rooker and John C. McGinley and that’s just icing on the cake for a film that with the talent involved is going to be anything but predictable. The synopsis for the film is In a twisted social experiment, 80 Americans are locked in their high-rise corporate office in Bogotá, Colombia and ordered by an unknown voice coming from the company’s intercom system to participate in a deadly game of kill or be killed. With two genre heavyweights controlling the carnage it’s going to get bloody.
4. Alien Covenant- I previously hadn’t been excited about an Alien film since the trailer for Alien 3 but that all changed when the Alien Covenant trailer was released on Christmas morning. It looks like Ridley Scott has given in and decided to make the all out Alien film that fans were hoping for with Prometheus. It’s the equivalent of John Carpenter saying fuck it and just directing another Halloween film. Maybe that’ll happen in 2018.
3. Untitled Adam Green Film- We know absolutely nothing about the plot or even a set release date and I absolutely love that. With today’s social media crazed instant gratification it’s fantastic that Adam is able to make a film without every little detail being documented on every horror website. What we do know is that the film stars Chase Williamson, Laura Ortiz, and Dave Sheridan. That’s enough for me. I’ve loved every film Adam’s done thus far and have no doubt this one will hit the mark for horror fans.
2. American Guinea Pig: Song Of Solomon- Stephen Biro is bringing the Antichrist to the screen in 2017. With a cast that includes Jessica Cameron and Jim Van Bebber and FX work by Marcus Koch and Jerami Cruise this promises to be a gut punch of a film that spares no one. I’ve been a supporter of Unearthed Films for quite awhile and I believe this is going to be the film that breaks thru to a wider audience and causes the masses to take notice of the superb work that Stephen and crew have been doing.
1. Heretiks- Paul Hyett blew my mind and wrecked me with his directorial debut, The Seasoning House when it was released. It was my top film that year. Heretiks has been on my most anticipated list since I discussed the film with him back in 2014 and finally in 2017 the film will be released. With Michael Ironside, Rosie Day, and Dilan Gwyn starring, it promises to be another trip thru the horror wringer. The story centers around a young woman in the 17th century who is saved from execution and led to a priory to repent her sins but discovers that a greater evil lies within. Paul is a genius at bringing the horror inside of man to the screen and with him tackling religious horror this go around it promises to be quite the affair.
That’s an impressive list of talent that will bring us the terror in 2017. Let us know what films make your most anticipated list.